Stepwise pictorial recipe of Chaap (raw).
We could never believe that making a raw chaap is such an easy task before we learned this recipe from a young boy working as a waiter in a small food point nearby our house. Till date we have cooked chaaps uncountable number of times but everytime they were store brought. For the first time we tried it at home, and when we cooked them next day, they were more than awesome.
If compared to the store brought, our chaaps were too much cheap economically, more healthy being preservatives free and much more tasteful.
So we dedicate this recipe to that young boy (name not known) because of whom we are sharing this recipe …..
Soya Daal 1 cup
Soya chunks 1 cup
Salt 1 tsp
All purpose flour as per need
Water as per need
Ice cream sticks 25 – 30 (keep some extra in reserve)
Zip lock bags/ polythene bags with rubber bands
25 – 30 Chaaps
Two Star Ingredients of Chaap (Raw)
1. Soya Daal
2. Soya Chunks
Now the procedure begins…
1. Wash and soak soya daal in sufficient amount of water with a pinch of salt at night or for 10 – 12 hours.
2. In the morning or after 10 – 12 hours, take a bowl and add 2 cups of water and boil soya chunks untill they turn soft. Remove from hot water and Keep the soya chunks aside and let them cool.
3. On the contrary, you can soak soya chunks in sufficient amount of water for 20 – 25 minutes or untill they turn soft.
3. Once turned soft, remove the excess water from the soya chunks by squeezing them, preferably with hand.
4. Now remove the soya daal from water in which it was soaked and grind soya daal and soya chunks either seperatly or together till they become a paste.
5. Transfer the paste in a big bowl. Add salt and prepare a stiff dough by adding all purpose flour into it.
Add all purpose flour as much as needed to make a stiff dough. Don’t use water.
6. Cover the portion of the dough with cheese cloth so that it doesn’t get dried. Now begin next step.
7. Take a ball out of the dough and roll it with the help of a rolling pin like you do for making chapatis in a routine.
8. Dust some all purpose flour if your roti is sticking to rolling pin or the board.
9. Now with the help of a knife or pizza cutter, cut the rolled roti into strips as shown in the picture.
10. Roll each strip around the ice cream sticks.
11. Keep on repeating the process as shown in point 7 to 10 untill the dough is finished or the number of champs you want to make are done.
12. After all the strips are rolled around the ice cream sticks, keep them aside for about 30 to 45 minutes.
13. Now take a wide pan. Add water and place it on a gas stove for boiling.
14. Once the water has started boiling, add the chaaps, prepared so far, into the hot boiling water. If the size of your pan is not sufficient enough to adjust all the chaaps in one go, then boil them in seperate batches one after another.
15. After 3 to 4 minutes you will find the bubbles around the boiling chaaps. However let them boil for 15 to 20 minutes.
16. In the mean time take another bowl and fill it with the cold water and keep aside.
17. Once the chaaps are boiled after 15 – 20 minutes, immediately shift them to the bowl having cold water.
18. Let the chaaps rest in cold water for 10 minutes untill they become cool completely.
19. Bring them out from the cold water and shift in a zip lock bag. If you don’t have zip lock bag, nothing to worry. Take a polethene bag, fill the chaaps into it and close it with the rubber band.
20. Place your ziplock bag/ polythene bag in freezer.
Your Chaap (raw) is ready.
Now it’s a time to cook the chaap (raw) with the easy method given here.
PAYAL BALI SHARMA